Wednesday, October 04, 2006

"Rob Roy" and Whisky

Following from yesterday's Individual Presentation, here are sections from Sir Walter Scott's deutero-canonical Rob Roy ("Volume Two, Chapter Twelfth") I have alluded to on whishky (the mis-spelling is pointedly done.) I have emboldened some noteworthy text:
Each of the Highlanders had their naked dirks stuck upright in the board beside him,—an emblem, I was afterwards informed, but surely a strange one, that their computation was not to be interrupted by any brawl. A mighty pewter measure, containing about an English quart of usquebaugh, a liquor nearly as strong as brandy, which the Highlanders distil from malt, and drink undiluted in excessive quantities, was placed before these worthies. A broken glass, with a wooden foot, served as a drinking cup to the whole party, and circulated with a rapidity, which, considering the potency of the liquor, seemed absolutely marvellous.

I hae had chappins eneugh," said Inverashalloch; "I'll drink my quart of usquebaugh or brandy wi' ony honest fellow, but the deil a drap mair when I hae wark to do in the morning. [!!]

This explaineth much!

No comments: